Thursday, September 13, 2012

Archie Goodwin Meets Nero Wolfe - The Prequel

I went on my Nero Wolfe reading binge before I started this site and so there are not too many reviews here of those novels and novellas. I've actually reviewed about as many Wolfe novels by Robert Goldsborough in these pages as I have by Rex Stout.

Goldsborough is, of course, the writer who took over after Rex Stout's death and wrote a handful of Nero Wolfe novels. I'm not normally keen on the notion of someone taking over for a dead author, but on the other hand I have to admit that I liked the Goldsborough books quite a bit.

Which is why it came as welcome news that he is due to publish a prequel, of sorts, which speculates as to how Archie and the fat man got together. It's called Archie Meets Nero Wolfe and it's due to hit the shelves in late October or early November.

As Goldsborough says, "In developing the story, I made use of what few clues Mr. Stout had sprinkled around in his tales, including a brief reference to the kidnapping of a wealthy hotelier’s son. That kidnapping became a central focus of my book, along with young Archie Goodwin’s coming of age as a detective in the Manhattan of 1930."

More at the author's site.

2 comments:

  1. I'm also not very keen on someone taking over for a dead author, especially if you know you know how Rex Stout thought about it ("...let them roll their own") and I have read some less than favorable reviews that will keep me from ordering this book the moment it comes out.

    But who knows what effect the drawbacks will have on me, once I have ran out of the original stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had the honour of reading a copy in advance of its release. I'm holding on to my review for now for a few reasons, but I do think this was a good one.

    ReplyDelete