Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Top 12 of 2012 - Fiction and Film

I suppose I would be remiss if I didn't put together a list of favorites for the year. So here it is. Since I've taken to reviewing quite a lot of mystery film, as well as fiction, it's almost evenly divided between the two. No particular order of preference here, although if you twisted my arm I might let it slip that I really did like Fowler's Seventy-Seven Clocks quite a bit...

FICTION
The Stately Home Murder
by Catherine Aird
Published in 1969, but with (at least) one foot firmly in the Golden Age of Detection. An imposing English mansion, a few murders and plenty of dry wit.

Cards on the Table
by Agatha Christie
One of Christie's more clever Poirot books, if you ask me. The host of a party is killed by one of a foursome of bridge players who are actively engaged in their game at the time of his murder - in the same room.

Seventy-Seven Clocks
by Christopher Fowler
The fourth of Fowler's Bryant & May books and for my money the best. Certainly the wackiest plot/premise of the four I've read and probably the highest body count as well.

1222
by Anne Holt
My first foray into Norwegian mystery fiction. A couple hundred people are stranded in a lodge in the mountains following a train wreck. A blizzard rages without and nefarious deeds are committed within.

Wobble To Death
by Peter Lovesey
It's the late nineteenth century and a hardy band of contestants are vying for a large cash prize at a tough six-day marathon race in London, also known as a wobble. Would you believe that a murder or two breaks out? Imagine that.

Murder of the Bride
by C.S. Challinor
I've become a great fan of Challinor's series about the Scottish barrister, Rex Graves, and this was one of the best of the bunch. Not surprisingly, most of the misdeeds take place at a wedding in a manor house and mostly over the course of one day.

Death on Demand
by Carolyn G. Hart
A bit of a cheat, this one, since I actually wrapped it up two days before 2012 commenced. So sue me. Hart has written a couple dozen books in this series, which concerns an amateur detective who runs a mystery bookstore on a South Carolina island that caters to the tourist trade. This was the first one and the only one I've read thus far, but I'd call it a pretty decent Agatha Christie tribute and a nice showcase for the author's extensive knowledge of the mystery genre.

FILM
The Hound of the Baskervilles
2002
One of the more recent incarnations of Doyle's famous work. I particularly liked Ian Hart's portrayal of Watson, which was a bit different from the standard second banana to the great Holmes.

Death on the Nile
1978
One of the great Agatha Christie works, brought to the big screen in a big way, with big stars and whopping big cinematography. Big, big, big.

Fast Company
1938
The first of a series of three comic whodunits featuring Garda and Joel Sloane, a crime-solving pair of rare book dealers. Different actors took on the main roles each time out, but Melvyn Douglas and Florence Rice turn in performances here that any Thin Man fans would be advised to take a look at.

Another Thin Man
1939
Speaking of the Thin Man, my favorite of the five installments I've seen thus far. This time out a wealthy friend of the Charles family is bumped off and Nick and Nora are called upon to crack the case.

Francis in the Haunted House
1956
As I said in the review, it's "the best movie that I've ever seen that featured a talking mule investigating a murder in a haunted house." I stand firmly by that position.

No comments:

Post a Comment